A big thank you!

Barry

Paint Fanatic
Staff member
I have been meaning to post this for last couple of months and just keep forgetting but just got off the tech line with a professional painter who has never bought SPI or registered for this site but told me he has spent the last four nights reading this site.
He further stated that he has learned a number of things and then went on to say the other sites are too full of BS for him to stand.
He pointed out to me he has been a professional painter for 22 years and can tell when someones giving advice if they have ever really painted before.

The thing is this is not the only time, I have heard this, I usually get something like this once to twice a month and to sum it up with the quality of people on here, no one is going to get bad advice and it give me relief not worrying about it as I can't be on here as much as I would like due to time issues.

So just want to thank all of you and your efforts do show!
Barry
 

shine

Member
the great thing is that here you can disagree and go back and forth and someone is going to learn something . unlike the stupid pissing matches elsewhere . i for one have picked up a ton of tips here.
 

jlcustomz

evil painter
Just joining up here last week, I definitely learned a bit & see that there are a good amount of people here that have a lot to teach anyone. I recently recommended a product for a certain use & others here all had problems with it that I never had, so,,,,,,,Think I'll quit while I'm ahead & look into other recommended products for that use.

Much easier (& cheaper) to listen to what other experts have to say than to learn the hard way.
 

DATEC

Member
You never stop learning something even from a beginner. I always say, even if someones technique is totally differant then yours, there might be some part of it you can apply to yours that will work.

Thank You Barry for making SPI and having this forum.
 

Dub

Administrator
When I was asked to help build the new site my goal was to have the best and most professional forum out there. I am very happy with the outcome of the site. There were a few hiccups along the way but all in all I do believe we have the #1 site on the net. I didn't do it alone tho.... I have to give praise to the members on here for being as professional as you all are! Thank you for making my job easier. And thank you for your dedication.
 

Barry

Paint Fanatic
Staff member
crashtech;n77367 said:
I can't really post on other forums any more. Too many "experts" posting outdated or wrong advice, sometimes with the blessing of the mods. We can't save every hobbyist from that, but if they come here, they'll be safe.

Worse for bad advice is forums that also sell related products, so lie like a rug to make a sale and who cares how long the job lasts, not their problem, just make a sale.
A gallon kit sale means nothing to me and on tech line this week alone, I told two people not to use or buy my product.
One I said the epoxy is not going to save you from the primer you put over bare metal, so save your money.

The other one used a miracle metal prep and point blank told him use their private label stuff, so when it comes off, I'm not blamed.
 

shine

Member
i get mauled when i tell some one not to use spi . i know by their post they will not listen and will blame spi for their stupidity. but others will see it and not make their mistake.
 

Arrowhead

Oldtimer
I've learned so much on this forum and I have found I might not always find the answer I want, but it's the correct one. Thanks SPI forum!

(wish I had more to contribute, but I don't usually speak up unless I have first hand knowledge of what I'm talking about)
 

Jorge M.

Member
Arrowhead;n77393 said:
I've learned so much on this forum and I have found I might not always find the answer I want, but it's the correct one. Thanks SPI forum!

(wish I had more to contribute, but I don't usually speak up unless I have first hand knowledge of what I'm talking about)

Arrow, I feel the same way about contributing to the forum, I have limited experience compared to most regulars in here so I don't give advice as often.

But this is part of the reason why this forum is so good, people speak from years of experience doing top quality work and offer sound, reliable information.

Thanks to all the regulars and every body else that provides help in here.
 

rustover

Member
Jorge M.;n77394 said:
Arrow, I feel the same way about contributing to the forum, I have limited experience compared to most regulars in here so I don't give advice as often.

But this is part of the reason why this forum is so good, people speak from years of experience doing top quality work and offer sound, reliable information.

Thanks to all the regulars and every body else that provides help in here.

I'm in the same boat. I don't feel I could even attempt to learn the trade especially as a diy guy without the help of the SPI forum.
 

crashtech

Combo Man
Arrowhead;n77393 said:
I've learned so much on this forum and I have found I might not always find the answer I want, but it's the correct one. Thanks SPI forum!

(wish I had more to contribute, but I don't usually speak up unless I have first hand knowledge of what I'm talking about)

That's the way it is supposed to be! I've been in this trade for over 30 years, and there's still plenty of stuff I don't feel comfortable going in-depth on.
 

craig429

Member
rustover said:
Jorge M.;n77394 said:
Arrow, I feel the same way about contributing to the forum, I have limited experience compared to most regulars in here so I don't give advice as often.

But this is part of the reason why this forum is so good, people speak from years of experience doing top quality work and offer sound, reliable information.

Thanks to all the regulars and every body else that provides help in here.

I'm in the same boat. I don't feel I could even attempt to learn the trade especially as a diy guy without the help of the SPI forum.
I am also in the same boat as you too. I have been lurking around for years, especially when I have a project I am working on. Thanks for the great site and allowing DIY's to learn how to paint correctly.
 

5wndwcpe

Mopar shop
shine;n77392 said:
i get mauled when i tell some one not to use spi . i know by their post they will not listen and will blame spi for their stupidity. but others will see it and not make their mistake.

Kind of like the POR 15 thread. When I'm on other forums, if the guy seems receptive, I'll steer them here, but if they' appear to be unrelentingly wedded to a particular snake oil, I just move along. I know it sounds kinda snobbish and I don't mean to be, but horses and water and all that.

I don't think a day goes by that I don't learn something here, kudos to all who contribute.
 

John Long

Member
I visit this sight every day. I always check "today's post" and if I have a question I will search the archives but I rarely post. It seems to me that this is a place where the professionals need to be furnishing the advice. That is what makes it so valuable.


While I have been building street rods and custom cars for 45 years it is good to have a place that allows me to keep up with the ever changing technology and benefit from the experience of the guys who do this day in and day out.

Thanks all!

John
 

DATEC

Member
shine;n77392 said:
i get mauled when i tell some one not to use spi . i know by their post they will not listen and will blame spi for their stupidity. but others will see it and not make their mistake.

Dam I thought I was the only one doing that. I know there are a couple people I really do not want to ever find out what I use (it's burning their behinds that they don't know) and if they ever did I surely don't want them using it because they are total hacks that talk as though they can take Barrett Jackson.
 

shine

Member
one particular idiot did not want to listen about seams on a corvette or much of anything else. he mixed some spi epoxy and let induce overnight then threw it out because the solids settled. went on and on until i finally asked if he had ever heard of a stir stick .
then we have the coating store bunch who troll from site to site .
 
Top